FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. — A new mixed-use development that includes 59 townhomes and 51,000 square feet of commercial space will soon become a reality. The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved Liu Investment Partners request to rezone 18.534 acres at 100 McFarland Parkway to Master Planned District at Thursday’s meeting.
Christopher Light, representing Liu Investment Partners said his client had reduced the number of townhomes from 67 to 59 and increased the commercial space from 44,000 to 51,000 which would include a commercial building that exists on the property and will be renovated to code standards.
The development is also expected to include 233 parking spaces and amenities like a playground, and walking trails.
Following public hearings, the Board approved:
- The request for an alcohol license to sell malt beverages (beer) and wine for consumption on the premises for Moto Asian Cuisine Inc. located at 655 Atlanta Highway;
- The request for an alcohol license to have a farm winery on the premises for Stoney J’s Farm and Orchard, LLC located at 1506 Stoney Point Road;
- The request for an alcohol license to sell malt beverages (beer) and wine for consumption on the premises for Southern Grit + Grace, LLC dba Board and Brush located at 6655 Town Square, Suite 1210;
- The request for an alcohol license to sell malt beverages (beer), wine, and distilled spirits by the package on the premises for Robert J. Russell, III, Inc. dba Red Barn Package Store located at 4310 Settendown Village Road;
- The request for an alcohol license to sell malt beverages (beer), wine, and distilled spirits for consumption on the premises for La Mara XVI, Inc. dba Laredos Taqueria and Grill located at 5310 Matt Highway, Suite 101;
- The County-Initiated request for agritourism and agricultural sales on 25.4 acres currently zoned Agricultural District (A1);
- Postponed a vote regarding the County-Initiated variance request to: 1.) Reduce the exterior setback from 50 ft. to 15 ft. adjacent to the +/- 6.0 acre outparcel proposed to be subdivided from the property which is proposed to remain zoned A1 and as shown on the submitted concept plan on file with the County (UDC Table 11.2(b)); 2.) Reduce the exterior buffer from 25 ft. to 0 ft. adjacent to the +/- 6.0 acre outparcel proposed to be subdivided from the property which is proposed to remain zoned A1 and as shown on the submitted concept plan on file with the County (UDC Table 11.2(b)) – Parcel 169-135 – 5690 Hendrix Road, Cumming, GA;
- Approved amendments to Chapters 3, 8, 11, 16, 18, and 21 related to light pole height variance within the Unified Development Code of Forsyth County;
- Approved amendments to Chapter 19 related to conservation subdivisions within the Unified Development Code of Forsyth County;
- Approved amendments to Chapters 3, 10, 11, 15, 16, and 21 related to backyard chickens within the Unified Development Code;
- Approved a request to operate a 1,636 sq. ft. short-term rental for 6 overnight guests with 3 parking spaces on 1 acre currently zoned Agricultural District and located at 3930 Aaron Sosebee Road, contingent upon the Board’s adoption of a Short Term Rental Ordinance;
Under New Business, the Board:
- Approved a request by Domain Realty, Inc. to rezone from Agricultural District (A1) to Single Family Residential District (RES2) 11.16 acres for 8 residential lots with a density of .72 units per acre with the following variance to: 1.) Eliminate the 5,000 ft. sewer distance requirement to facilitate the use of an on-site septic disposal system (UDC 18-5.18). Property is located at 7010, 7012, 7014, 7016, 7024, and 7026 Dickerson Road, Cumming;
- Postponed GPB Properties, LLC request to operate an open storage yard with 82 parking spaces with an existing 2,479 sq. ft. accessory office on 2.71 acres currently zoned Agricultural District (A1). Property is located at 5060 Dawsonville Highway and 7835 Knight Road, Gainesville;
- Ratified the enactment of an emergency temporary moratorium, imposed on April 6, 2021, to bar all rezoning applications (until May 7, 2021) to the Res6 zoning designation, where the requested density for such rezoning is to a density that is greater than 4 units per acre.
Under announcements and reports, Chairwoman Cindy Mills read a proclamation declaring the month of April 2021 as Child Abuse Prevention and Awareness Month in Forsyth County.
“These are some special people in our community that do a lot to help kids,” Mills said. “We’re thankful they are with us today and for all they do.”
The Board also recognized the Forsyth County Parks Foundation for its efforts to promote healthy and active lives by creating awareness and financial support to Forsyth County. Mills read a resolution recognizing Linda Duncan, a member of the Foundation who will be leaving soon.
Commissioners also announced that the second week in April is recognized as National Public Safety Telecommunicators week in honor of public safety personnel for their commitment, service and sacrifice