Elbert County Home Fire Results in Three Fatalities

Featured Stories

PRESS RELEASE – Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King announced today that three Georgia residents fell victim to a home fire in Elberton.

“At approximately 2:30 a.m. on November 11, a home fire with multiple trapped occupants was reported to Elbert County Emergency Services,” said Commissioner King. “Upon arrival, fire officials found the residence fully involved with flames and immediately began fire suppression. After the fire was contained, firefighters entered the home in search of victims, only to find that all three occupants had succumbed to the fire.”

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office conducted a fire scene examination and determined the cause to be a dryer that was operating overnight. This fire has been classified as accidental.

Georgians doing laundry at home should remember to turn off the dryer when leaving home or going to bed, and always clean the lint trap before each load of laundry. For additional clothes dryer safety information, please review The National Fire Protection Association’s Clothes Dryer Safety Tip Sheet.

Our office assisted the Elbert County Fire Department and Sheriff’s Office with this investigation.


Leave a comment

Back to Top