Pet store catches fire, everyone marked safe

Featured, Featured Stories, News
Pet City

BLAIRSVILLE, Ga – Everyone safely escaped from a midday fire on Tuesday, June 29, at Pet City USA on the Blue Ridge Hwy.

The blaze broke out around 2 p.m. after the people inside noticed a flickering light and smoke coming from the ceiling soon after.

Approximately 15 firefighters responded to the call and worked quickly to put it out. A ladder truck sprayed water down on the ceiling of the commercial structure, and at least, engine one was on hand to assist with ground support.

In this photo, crews used to hoses extinguish the fire from the ground.

As of now, the Union County Fire Department (UCFD) hasn’t determined the exact cause of the fire.

Due to the direction of the wind, firefighters combatted with excessive smoke blowing down on them. An estimated 50 to 80 percent of fire deaths result from smoke inhalation. It can cause asphyxiation, irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat, and nausea. Signs of smoke inhalation include cough, shortness of breath, hoarseness, headache, and acute mental status changes.

Pet City USA housed all times of animals from lizards to hamsters. The store had reopened from the COVID-19 economic shutdown. While all people made it out of the building, it’s unclear if all the animals inside escaped the fire.

Fetch Your News will update this article as more details become available. Images are courtesy of UCFD. 


Firefighters enter the building.

Back to Top