HAYWOOD COUNTY, NC.- A traffic stop conducted by Haywood County Sheriff’s Office Deputies led to the seizure of 1.12 pounds of methamphetamine, 47 grams of Fentanyl, an illegal firearm, and the arrest of Eric Gaines of Swannanoa, NC.
On Sept. 28th, while working a routine patrol on I-40, deputies with the Haywood County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Suppression Unit initiated a traffic stop on Eric Gaines. During the ensuing investigation, Gaines consented to a search of his car resulting in the discovery of a large amount of methamphetamine, Fentanyl, drug paraphernalia, and an illegally owned handgun.
“Once again, the diligent efforts of our deputies have yielded positive results, and another large quantity of illegal drugs was removed from our community. We will remain vigilant as we target drug traffickers and the plague of illegal distribution affecting Haywood County,” stated Haywood County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Jeff Haynes.
If you have any information regarding drug trafficking in Haywood County please call the Haywood County Sheriff’s Office Crime Stoppers Tipline at 1-877-922-7463 or visit the Community Concerns Portal at www.haywoodncsheriff.com/community-tips-concerns
Eric Gaines was charged with the following:
• Trafficking Methamphetamine by Transportation Level III
• Trafficking Methamphetamine by Possession Level III
• Trafficking Fentanyl by Transport Level III
• Trafficking Fentanyl by Possession Level III
• Possession with Intent to Sell and Deliver Methamphetamine
• Maintain a vehicle for Controlled Substance
• Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon
And was placed in the Haywood County Detention Center with a $1,000,000 secured bond.